Small businesses face lots of challenges these days. Customers have high expectations, regardless of whether they’re shopping at a single-location shop or a nationwide franchise. They want great service and experiences in-store and simplicity and personalisation online. And increasingly, local businesses are facing more competition from multinational retailers and marketplace giants like Amazon and eBay.
Add in the complexities resulting from COVID-19, including social distancing, lockdowns and swift transitions to online models, and it’s clear that businesses will need to embrace new solutions and new ways of thinking to survive and thrive into the future.
To help, Investible has teamed up with LaTrobe University to support 20 small businesses across the state of Victoria. Building on the success of Investible’s Retail Innovation Program, which has supported two cohorts in partnership with the City of Sydney, the program is designed to give local business owners the mindset, resources and community they need to adapt and innovate in the face of unprecedented change.
Investible has re-invented its program for 100% online delivery, which includes real-time virtual workshops, expert panels and mentoring with a convenient self-service learning platform. And thanks to our partners at LaTrobe University, we’re able to deliver it at no cost to the business owners.
Here’s a look at our impressive cohort, which includes a mix of retail, manufacturing, health and wellness and hospitality businesses, some of which have been in operation for more than 25 years.
- Advanced Health – Allied health business offering chiropractic services, massage therapy, clinical pilates, personal training, acupuncture therapy and more.
- Alperstein Designs – Unique, Australian designed gifts and homewares since 1996.
- Australian Home Brewing – Melbourne’s oldest and most renowned supplier of home brew supplies
- Bureaux Coffee – Quality-centric coffee company sourcing and roasting expressive and resonant coffees
- Cambrian Hotel – Multi award winning small-sized inclusive pub in North Bendigo showcasing independent breweries.
- Dandenong Market – A fresh produce multicultural community market that features more than 200 market traders
- Flow Retreat – Boutique retreat offering premium float therapy for relaxation, reducing stress and muscle pain in Bendigo
- Food for Fingers – Melbourne wholesaler of delicious, gourmet finger food for 5 star hotels, function centres and corporate clients, small catering businesses and cafes
- Halo Advanced Cosmetic Tattoo – Specialists in Cosmetic and Paramedical Tattoo procedures
- Hurlstone Homestead – Hospitality business offering a romantic wedding ceremony, reception venue and Bed & Breakfast in Shepparton
- Market Organics – Certified organic fruit and vegetable grocer located at the Queen Victoria Market.
- MON POULET – Upmarket French-style chicken & chip shop with takeaway made by a French, Michelin-trained Chef
- Plot Wine – Direct to consumer wine label offering light touch wine for all to enjoy
- Qulfi Mart – Premium handmade Qulfi’s in unique authentic flavours
- Shepparton Brewery – Boutique brewery in the Goulburn Valley, brewed local, by locals, for locals.
- Shingleback Off Road – Home of Australia’s best vertical bike racks, custom bike trailers and off road products.
- The Fryers Street Food Store – Established café & food store turning seasonal local and regional Victorian produce into café style meals for dine-in, takeaway and home delivery
- Trash Magic – Sustainable decor & creative activities company offering an alternative to buying single-use art and craft materials
- Upward Dog – Australia’s home for ethical & eco yoga products with a focus on form, function, and durability.
- Virtus Performance – A holistic health, training and performance facility.
We look forward to working closely with these business owners to support them to embrace new solutions, quickly test their ideas and adapt seamlessly in the face of change, especially with Victoria facing a second wave of COVID-19.